How to Train SpamAssassin
Here's a quick howto on training SpamAssassin to catch more SPAM email:
NOTE: You will need SSH access to your hosting server in order to run the commands below. If you don't have access, simply email firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Collect some SPAM & HAM
- Setup 2 new mail folders called 'HAM' and 'SPAM' (these must be IMAP folders not POP3 folders)
- When mail arrives in your inbox, sort it into the two new folders - SPAM into 'SPAM' non-spam into 'HAM'
- Do that for a few weeks or until you've got a good sample (20+) of emails in both folders.
2. Train SpamAssassin
- SSH to your web server
- Change your directory to the mail folder location containing the HAM & SPAM folders you created earlier. For example:
- Run the following commands on the HAM & SPAM files contained in this directory:
sa-learn --siteconfigpath=/usr/share/spamassassin --showdots --mbox --spam SPAM sa-learn --siteconfigpath=/usr/share/spamassassin --showdots --mbox --ham HAM
That's it! That should take effect across all mailboxes under your account (not just the one you created the HAM & SPAM folders for).
This has worked well for me so far - your mileage may vary. You can run the command again at a later date to improve SPAM matching further, just make sure you have a fresh sample of SPAM & HAM in those folders first otherwise you won't see any improvement. You could also setup a Cron job to run this for you periodically.