Rather than adding existing subscribers one-by-one, it’s helpful to import many all at once.
The Import Process
To start the Import process, go to the Lists page and click on the Import button of the list you want to add your subscribers to.
Using the Subscriber Import Tool, you can import as many subscribers as you’d like, and designate which lists, status, and other options get applied to those subscribers.
There are 3 ways of importing:
- Import using a File (CSV or XLS);
- Import using an External Service (Google Contacts, Salesforce, Capsule, Etc.);
- Import by Pasting/Typing your Data
- Import As Active Subscriber: Imports subscribers as active. If subscribers have previously unsubscribed, they will not be re-added as active.
- Import As Unsubscribed Subscriber: Imports subscribers as unsubscribed.
- Import As Excluded Email Address: Imports subscribers as excluded.
- Update existing subscribers while importing: By checking this box, any subscribers in this import process which are already present in the system will be updated with any new subscriber information that is found during the import process. If this box is not checked, those subscribers will be skipped during the import (their subscriber details will not be updated).
The second step of importing subscribers involves mapping fields from your import file to the Email Marketing software, The idea is to correlate fields from your import to matching fields in the Email Marketing software. You can also create new custom fields on-the-fly, during the subscriber import process by clicking on the “Add New Field” option from the drop-down.
After you’re done Mapping the fields, you can click on the “Import Now” button.
After the Import
Once you are done importing your List, it is good practice to see view the report for your Import. After your Import has completed, you will see the page below. Click on the “View Reports” link to see a report of the Import Process.
A pop up of the Import Reports will show up. It will tell you how many has been imported and how many failed to import. If there are any Failed imports, you will see a link for the explanations.
If your list contain rows that do not have an email address, that row would not be imported and would be reported as “Empty row – No Email Address”.
Also, if any subscriber has bounced or unsubscribed in the past, they will not be imported. Lastly, if any subscriber is a duplicate, they will not be imported as well.
(NOTE: you can still add bounced or unsubscribed subscribers. However, you would have to do it one by one or through your subscription form).
NOTE: You can also view past Import Reports. To do so, go to the Import page (click Lists then click the “Import” button). On the Import Page, click the “View Recent Imports” link. You will be presented with a drop-down of your recent imports. You could click on one that you would like to view.